Sunday, August 12, 2007

Back to school

Well, it's that time again...time to head back to school. We had a long summer vacation this year and I got to spend all of it with Gil. Was it good? eh...we had a few moments, but most of it was good.

Best thing has been exercising together. I would run while he would ride his bike. I / we have really seen an improvement in his energy level. Although, now that summer is over, I don't know how we will get through our days without a nap!

Ok, evidently I have this nack for overloading myself so to speak. This year is no exception. I am PAST president of PALMS (Pinellas Association for Library Media (or inforMation) Specilaists), so that takes a little off my plate, but I will still be involved. But this year my big project is Team in Training...training for the Disney 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles) in January 2008.
OK - here is the letter I sent out to everyone I had an address for...

OK kids, well, I’ve gone and done it again. I’ve entered myself in another race for a good cause. This time it’s a little more personal.

I’ve joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training, the world's largest endurance sports training program that helps raise funds for research of blood borne cancers. I will be training for the Disney 1/2 marathon in January.

This will be the first time I’ve run with a group, let alone been “properly” trained for any event. I’m excited and a little nervous, but I figure, if Gil can endure 4 months of Chemo, 2 months of radiation and come out of it as well as he did, I can endure 13 miles.

But it’s not about me; it’s about those who are living with cancer. It’s about people like Gil, TNT’s honored teammates and all of us whose lives have been touched by cancer. It’s about the research so there will be new, better treatments, maybe even a cure. Imagine a world without cancer.

To train for this race I need to raise funds. This is where I need your help. I have a goal of $2,400, which is due by December 28th. 75% of the funds raised goes toward research, education, services and support to patients and families battling these cancers. Donations can be made safely online through the website, or you can send me a check that I will send them in.

My donation site is http://www.active.com/donate/tntscfl/CSterling.
While you are on the site, take a look around and check out what TNT and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is all about.

If sending a check, make it out to “The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society” with my name in the memo section.

I will do my best to keep you up to date on my fundraising and training.

Thank you for your help, prayers, and joining me on my journey. Together we can save lives, one mile at a time.

I will leave this entry at that. My next entry should be around Nov. 7th after Gil's CAT scan. Maybe sooner...the TNT kick off party is this Saturday. If anything interesting happens, I'll try to let you know.

Much love to all!

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, ... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1

No comments: