Saturday, March 11, 2006

Chemo is over!!!!

I apologize for posting so late. We were not sure how he was going to be feeling today and I did the "Wonder Walk" earlier to help raise money for the Tampa United Methodist Charities.

Well, chemo is over! Yeah! Gil is feeling pretty good...suprisingly good according to him. I guess those booster shots really did some good. He is growing a bit of a mustache (we swear it's coming in thicker than ever before). Anyway...the man himself has a few things to say:

A few things I've learned during this period in my life!

#1 When your doctor looks at you and say's "You've got Cancer", you will fall apart! Maybe not right when they say it, and maybe not in front of anyone, but trust me you will! And from there on your life is forever changed!

#2 While you go through treatment (chemo/radiation), it is not a 'Brave' choice, it is the only choice! Survival is the only option! I know this sounds a little 'Dark' for me, but I can't make this sound fun in anyway.

#3 Your life as I said earlier will change. People will treat you differently. Your family will act differently. You will act differently, and you can't wait for things to return to "normal" (whatever that is)!

#4 Getting a "Port" put in is the best thing I could have ever done, but getting it out will be even better. While it is the [best] way to get the chemicals in your body without doing any damage to your veins, in me, it has never felt like a part of my body.

#5 I MISS MY HAIR - PERIOD! [and he means not just the hair on his head] There is nothing else I can say. People can say I look good, I look younger. The best looking bald man I know is Bruce VanWingerden, not me!

Well those are some of my "Grand" insights to having Hodgkins. I want to thank everyone for all their support, especially Carol my wife, and Jason (our exchange student), My parents, and sisters, and everyone at TTUMC for helping me through this time. It's not over yet! I still have a test or 2 to go through [Blood work March 16; PET scan March 17], and some radiation treatments possibly, but I beleive I am now through the worst of this. For now all I want is MY HAIR!

Gil

208 105/68

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, little brother I am so proud to be your sister! You are so brave you kept going even when you should have slowed down. You didn't want people to stop leaning on you even though you should have been leaning on us. God is good!!! I love you !!!!!

your sis,
Lorelei
p.s.You do look good with out hair

Anonymous said...

Gil,

Think about on the bright side, you are saving yourself some real money on hair cut and shaving cream. Besides, you could always carry a mirror on your head without adding any excess weight.That is really something !

Great ! I am sure your hair will grow back quickly unless you want to keep your fresh look !!

Alan