Saturday, January 26, 2013

Wild couple of days

Thursday 1/24
On the way home from work, actually to AT&T to take care of Danielle's pre-paid phone, we got rear-ended. I stopped for a car that was stopping for an ambulance and saw the sheriff coming behind me. Don't think I got anything out of my mouth before he hit us...I knew it might happen. He was looking for the sirens behind him, look front and...surprise! So he started to write it up - we moved off to their offices which were right near by (on Ulmerton between 113th and Seminole) - and two other officers showed up to write up the accident. No damage to my car except some minor dents in the tail pipe; took the grill completely off his cruiser; and no injuries. I also never touched the car in front of me so he left after making sure all was ok.
After dinner, Danielle started complaining of hip pain. She possibly twisted and strained against the seat belt - I think - so she wanted to get it checked out 'tomorrow' - Friday, after Gil's surgery. hmmm....

Friday 1/25
Gil had his port surgery. We were at the hospital shortly after 6am. We went through billing about 6:45 and then he was taken back for prep. I went back to see him about 7:30 and they promptly took him back to pre-op. They had a monitor in the waiting room that let you know the status of your 'case'...he was in pre-op a LONG time. I think an operation before him must have taken longer than planned. Anyway, he was done and I was allowed to go back to recovery/holding just after 11am and we left just after noon. After debating how to get his meds and the kid, who had been texting me on & off while waiting about going to the ER, and taking care of all that, I dropped him off at home and got him settled in.

Left the house around 1 pm, went to Walgreens and dropped off his script and off the school. I kept hoping her wanting to go the the ER would fall by the wayside, but no. She wanted to get checked out in case anything was wrong; "better safe than sorry" she kept saying.

So we got it cleared with her insurance and I took her to Largo Medical, where she also volunteers. It was probably around 2:30pm ...and I waited till about 3:30. She was in waiting for radiology. She kept telling me to go, so I figured I'd go ahead, pick up Gil's meds, play with snoopy for a bit, etc. While standing in line I got a call: She's under 17, I need to show her guardianship papers, and give some of my private info. I was in the middle of Walgreens and really did not want to give out my social security number! I told her I'd call back, but when I did, it was just a matter of getting back to the hospital with the needed paperwork. Grrrrr.....I went home, angrily apologized to Gil that he'd have to take care of the dogs, and stormed off back to Largo Med (which resulted in some angry banter), did what needed to be done, and sat with her in her room. I got a little impatient and started asking where things stood with her - finally got the Dr. who said x-ray's looked good, probably some strained muscles, so anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants were prescribed. Off for home about 5:30pm...stop and put in her 'scripts...home to order pizza, a little laundry, try to settle down.

Was very glad to go to sleep. I know I'm probably babying Gil too much, but I wasn't able to care for him properly and feel very guilty.

No comments: