Thursday, February 07, 2013

Transplant prep-visit

Ok, this is a little nerve racking.
Lets see if I can remember what was said.
Shortly after Gil's next/last round of I.C.E. chemo (the week of Feb 18.?) this process will start:
1. Vital organs testing - scans, blood work, yada yada
2. He comes in for 1-2 days for the cells to be harvested with a white cell booster (neupenogen?) given twice while on a dialysis like machine.
3. 5 days of Chemo: (5) BNCU (4) Etoposide (3) Nma-c ? (2) Melphalan ? (1) booster (0) and the cells go back in. We have to stay local to the hospital for about 5 weeks.

There were 3 people who gave us minor variations of these instructions (nurse prac., Dr. and nurse coordinator), but we got the gist. Guess we'll be living on the USF campus for a while. I never even lived there when I went there!

I'm comparing this to rebooting or re-imaging a computer - wipe out all the cells and put the good ones back in. I also keep having images of the Harry Potter movie where they 're-grow' his bones
(Chamber of Secrets?)

So around the last 2 weeks of March he'll get the vital organs testing and we'll get a schedule then.

So....what to we do about work? How much sick time or leave can I get? What about the dogs? The house? Bills? OMG
Our apologies for putting anyone out...

1 comment:

Kendra C. said...

Carol, I don't know if you are going to be able to stay at Hope Lodge at some point or if/how long Gil will need to be in the hospital, but I live near USF, so if you need a place to stay let me know and we can see if staying here would be helpful.

Kendra Craven